I am still on summer break but I had to tell you a story before I forget it.
It all started when a friend dropped by on a Thursday evening. We did a little quilting, a little wine and a whole lot of visiting. As she was walking out the door she exclaimed,"June, one of your chickens are out. How are you going to catch it". I stepped out the door thinking she had too much wine and was seeing things, but there it was! A white rooster!!! I now exclaimed, "that is not my rooster, I don't have any roosters and certainly not any white ones". So now the thought of who's is it and can I catch it. Well lets just say the rooster wasn't having anything to do with me catching it. So I told the rooster he was on his own and please go home where ever that may be.
I found myself lucky the next morning the rooster was no where to be found. So thinking he went home or please no thought of a predator - raccoon, I went off to work. It was one of those TGIF days. I was looking forward to the work day being over and coming home to a peaceful weekend.
Friday evening after work, while feeding dogs and dinner on the grill my doorbell rings. It's my neighbor across the street. Hey June, one of your chickens was out today so I put him in your backyard this afternoon. I smiled sweetly as I asked him if it was white? Yes, he replied. I thanked him for looking after my place while I'm at work and then told him I don't own any white chickens. He tried to apologize but I told him I was so appreciative for keeping an eye out and being neighborly. I closed the door and said a little grrrrrr under my breath, off to the chicken coop I go. Sure enough here was the white rooster all snuggled in with my hens. I told him his name was Lucky for he got to spend the night but we were looking for his owner first thing in the morning.
Luckily he wasn't crowing first thing in the morning, but I knew he was a youngster. A visit to the neighbors behind me produce them saying they had no white rooster. But they told me the other neighbors had also got chicken. I guess it is the in thing to do, raise chickens in town. Not knowing these neighbors that well I knocked on their door and explain my plight. They invited me to come along and check out there coop to see if their rooster was missing. Oh fingers crossed, nope no luck for me. There in the coop was there rooster George. Darn!!! Now what do I do?
So Lucky has no owner, so how does a chicken just show up in my yard. That is an answer that to this day is unanswered. So I told Lucky he could stay until Tuesday and he was going to the action. No ROOSTERS in my hen house.
Well guess what I found Sunday morning? A big white egg in the nesting box. Where did that come from? Is someone playing a joke on me? All kinds of thoughts were running through my head as to where this rooster came from that is now laying eggs. I guess it could be a hen but all my girls have very small combs on their head. Hummmmmmmmmmmm!
So the end of this very long story is Lucky's name got changed to Lucy and she got to stay since she is laying an egg a day.
She is one lucky Lucy!
June
Oh June, you are so lucky to have Lucy! What a charmer she is... and an egg-layer on top of it all!
ReplyDeleteThat is so funny!! Congrats on the new hen!!
ReplyDeleteLucky Lucy, hah. I bet you did think it was all a joke. So funny.
ReplyDeleteWhat a riot..glad that you came back if only for a visit...Bev's hens turn out to be roosters..you're very lucky
ReplyDeleteMost definitely lucky Lucy! We saw two abandoned roosters down on our county road. I tried to coax one to me but they ran. It didn't work out very well for them. I think someone dumped them because they had too many roosters.
ReplyDeleteLucky, lucky Lucy!!! I think she found a great home June. She knew what she was doing :)))))))
ReplyDeleteHope your summer is a great one my sister friend!!!
much love...
Lucky you...she is a Leghorn. I have one and they lay nearly every day and their combs are usually larger than most hens. She will make a nice addition to your coop. By the way, they generally don't like being held.
ReplyDeleteWonder if you learned being held the hard way, hee-hee! Thanks for the info!
DeleteHello June, what a funny story! I wonder where Lucky Lucy came from? Do you have chickens dropping from the sky? She is a beautiful leghorn, by the way. I would have wondered if she was a rooster too, looking at that comb, but the egg-laying puts an end to the speculation, doesn't it? Lucky is lucky to have found you!
ReplyDelete