Welcome

I hope to share my little ups and downs though life in a small town with hopes and dreams of the country life. With that I have learned to bloom where you are planted.



Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful

As I ponder my schedule for the perfect Thanksgiving Dinner I realize that perfection is not what I truly want. How can a perfect dinner create any lasting memories. There has to be a spills here and there or a little too dark pie crust. Or how about the year of hilarious happenings at my brothers. Of course it was some time before they saw the humor in it. You see where I grew up and where my brother and his family still live, it floods. No other word but high water!!! Their home was a single story and when the water rises it came all around the house. The floods in the nineties came in the house. Let me jump ahead and tell you they have since moved out of the flood plain. But while still living on the farm it was Thanksgiving and the water rising. So a decision was made to have dinner next door at their daughter's house which was much higher elevation. But the turkey was already in the oven when this decision was made. So at the time when the turkey was to be done my brother put on his waders(yep, water that high) and wadded through the water to get the turkey. Yum, nice and brown!! So onto the platter it went, and covered for the walk back though the water, up the steps into a nice and dry home. One problem! As walking though hip deep water you can not see the surface you are walking on. Getting the picture. You got it, a slight miss step and the turkey went sailing into the murky flood waters and floated away. You can imagine his horror and then to have to enter a house to tell them no turkey!!! So it was a Thanksgiving with no turkey, but when you live in flood country the pantry and freezer is full. So that Thanksgiving they were thankful for the canned ham, lots of laughter, warm and dry family. I've come to realize it isn't exactly what you eat but the company you share it with.

So this Thanksgiving I am sharing it will my family. With any luck I won't set off any smoke detector and we can sit down to a meal that we all will be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving!
June

3 comments:

  1. I loved that story June! I guess when you look at that, if our dinner isn't perfect, it was still better than that. It doesn't matter how hard I try, something always goes wrong at my house. Last year, it was the mashed potatoes. I forgot to buy potatoes, and so I only had about 10 in the house, but I have 25 to feed. Needless to say, we had a ton of gravy and ate it over tater tots!
    Here's hoping all goes good for the two Junes tomorrow.
    Thank you so much for your lovely message today.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksgiving and family go together don't they? and oh The memories we Cherish.
    Hoping you make new ones this year and many more to come..
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad your brother didn't float downstream with the turkey. What a story.....I'm glad it had a happy ending! I read your post out loud to my houseful of company and everyone was amazed.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete