It seem once Labor Day weekend is here all thoughts turn to Fall. I know our evenings are getting cooler. I could almost call it cold. But I still need sun and warmth! My tomatoes in my garden need to ripen. I was able to get one small Canner done. It was suppose to be seven pints but darn, one of the jars broke so only six.
I have a lot of pears on the counter ripening. I hope by this weekend I can get them canned. I also have apples in the garage that will be applesauce soon. Since there is only me in my household I use pints for most of my canning. I figure if I have more for a meal I can always open more.
As summer is winding down I am trying to finish up a few more projects. My garden shed is one that is finally done. Well, I can always tweak a few things but the painting of the door, trim and hanging shutters is done.
Here is the shed before!
Drum roll, Please!
Here it is after. One big, huge problem. The dead grass! I tried and tried to keep it green but after daily watering and hundreds of dollars to the water company it didn't work. It is either save my pennies for an in ground sprinkler system and new lawn or move! The soil in the back yard is horrible. I wanted to rota til it up and add good top soil and replant. But the people before me put in an instant lawn and the entire back yard has this green plastic mess under the grass. So I have to have a company come in and scoop all the grass and mesh off. $$$$ May just move!!
I'm still hanging onto what is left of summer and praying for an Indian Summer. I'm a sunshine gal and not looking forward to winter., burr - don't even think about it. Do you still have summer projects still needing to be completed?. I know I still do!!
Enjoy June
I'm drooling over all those pears. I'm not a caner but I do freeze berries. We picked 63 pounds of organic blueberries this summer.
ReplyDeleteLove your shed. What a difference the shutters and paint make! Looks like a cozy little home.
Don't feel so bad about your yard. Ours is soooo bad this year also. We were so "busy" in the Spring we just didn't start our yearly fight with it so now we are having to reseed parts. Steve is renting the thacher tomorrow. We had a landscaper look at it and he said we needed to lay all new grass. $1500-$1700 and you know most of those are labor costs so as usual, we will try to fix it ourselves.
Love the new look on the shed. That's awful about the grass. I thought it was due to the drought. We don't water here because of being on a well. We have some really large trees so do have some shady areas.
ReplyDeleteWon't all the canned things taste good this winter.
Oh RED! I love the red.. and it looks Great! I hear you about the soil..Ours is clay.. Before us years ago.. there was a company that used the clay for making tiles... so we will have to pour thousands of $$ into it to get it amended.. the grass ( mostly clover in the front yard ) but once its mowed looks pretty good.. as I said before the garden took its toll too... and My tomatoes are slow to ripen... but lots out there...I am hoping to make salsa..and it looks pretty promising even if It is green salsa... Lots of tomatillos....(? spelling) and peppers..and plenty onions....I made jam earlier so that's done..Your tomatoes look very pretty.. Doesn't it feel good to have those jars of preserved fruits on the shelf?
ReplyDeleteSorry you cant fit in the suitcase... * maybe Hawaii will be a better fit" LOL.. Take care my friend don"t work too hard.. Enjoy the Fall season....
Cheryl
Sunshine girl here also...I love your shed and your canning sounds wonderful...I enjoyed my visit!
ReplyDeleteYou go girl!!! I haven't canned in ages and ages. I used to can everything I could get my hands on when the children were all home.
ReplyDeleteNow I'm a slug in that area. I guess I think I did my time : )
I LOVE your shed's new do! So cheery now.
I am so glad we don't depend on rainfall here or I would never be able to have a garden or grass at all. We totally have to depend on snow pack over the winter to get us through the Summers. We own water rights for our irrigation and have had a lot of water so far. But the talk around town is that the water will be out of the canals the middle of this month so we have storage for next year. The way the weather is cooling here I shouldn't need to irrigate much more.
I saw that you were able to take a beautiful trip north. I have only been there twice, but love it. Yes, I think the Skagit Valley is so gorgeous too.
Have a great week canning my sweet friend.
much love...