Welcome

I hope to share my little ups and downs though life in a small town with hopes and dreams of the country life. With that I have learned to bloom where you are planted.



Monday, October 8, 2012

HOME SWEET HOME

After spending several weekends on the road it is so good that I am home for a spell.  Don't get me wrong I loved every camping trip, watching grand kids, potlucks, farm and nursery visits.  But there is something to be said about Home Sweet Home.

I made a quick trip out to check on my chickens and garden after arriving home last evening.  I really didn't plan very well.  I usually take a bucket or basket out with me.  I guess I was too lazy and this is what happens.
I had to use my t shirt as the basket.  Oh yes, I was already in sweats for I wanted to be comfy since it was a 3 hr trip home from my son's place.

This is what was all tucked into my shirt that I was using as a basket.   The tomato plants are still producing but frost is coming soon.
I still have tomatoes on the vine but I am covering them every night.  I'm thinking since the temp was 38 degrees this morning that it is getting close to my last picking.

We have had such a wonderful Fall this year that I still am picking green beans.  I plant them so they can grow up my windmill and this year they have outdone themselves.

It is time to harvest the pumpkins and put them out front for decor.  Do you notice the chicken wire?  Well my girls would eat everything in my garden if I didn't protect it.  So all my raised garden boxes and garden area have to be fenced off.  My chickens are cute but not when they eat my produce!

My corn is ready to pick.  This picture was taken 2 weeks ago so the tassels have all turn brown now.  I got it in late this year and didn't know if I would get any ears or not.  I've already eaten two and they are YUMMY!

It won't be too many mornings now and I won't be able to have fresh raspberries on my cereal.  I know the frost is just around the corner.  But as long as they last I will be enjoying!


So for this week, this is what you will find me doing.   Canning more tomatoes, freezing green beans, canning pumpkin  and apple pie filling.

Ahhh, Home Sweet Home!!

Enjoy June





4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! But happy for you, of course.
    You have really been blessed from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought you had eggs in your shirt, hah. Your garden has been bountiful this year. You will love having all the canned things this winter.
    Oh those camping trips sound like fun. Did you see the campers I posted from the CL Fair. Last year they had three different ones. They are a popular item to look at.....there was a lie just to peek in.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely garden...you can't beat those home grown goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't imagine how you can keep a garden and still glamp!! Great production! Love the windmill..been wanting one for a long time...the bigger the better.

    ReplyDelete