Welcome

I hope to share my little ups and downs though life in a small town with hopes and dreams of the country life. With that I have learned to bloom where you are planted.



Monday, October 15, 2012

SAYING NO IS HARD!

How does one person learn the art of saying no.  I think it must be an art form or some other twist that I can't seem to learn.  Inside me I say no all the time, but it's like when someone asked for help, the first thing that pops out of my mouth is sure!!!  That is what happen about a month ago.  A sister of a dear friend of mine has a daughter getting married.  Her other daughter is one of the bridesmaids.  Needless to say the bridesmaid dress needed altering and hemming.  And do you know what bridal shops charge for that? Yikes!!!  So it was me to the rescue or altering, ugh!  I gave up making wedding dress and bridesmaid dress many years ago for it stressed me out.   Now mind you this bridesmaid is tiny!!  And I had to  hem this dress with out her having purchased shoe.  A big no, no in my book.
Many layers to this dress and did I stress???  YES!!

It's done but I was sweating it.  I cut off seven inches on this skirt.  Yes 7 inches!!  Then I start to panic. What if I missed marked and it is way to short.  I can't add it back on!  I am here to report it was perfect length and fit.  Please, please remind me to say NO. So it was delivered at the bridal shower yesterday.

So with panicking and sweating some how I had forgot to go shopping for a gift.  I had a couple of plastic storage containers the bride had wanted but they looked so empty.  So with a little help from pre-made kitchen towels a little fabric and my knitting stash.  A gift was made.

I dug out a couple of knitted dish rags from my stash.  Now I best get busy to replenish before Xmas.


Made a couple of pot holders from sunflower fabric.  The bride's colors are royal blue with sunflowers.

Added a trim of fabric to pre made kitchen towels.


 And these gifts were ready to add to the storage containers.  At least they didn't looks so empty.

Now it is time to focus on Christmas sewing.  Yes, a friend reminded me I only have 10 weeks to get all my planned sewing finished.  Did I forget to mention I am currently sewing a mermaid costume.

Here's to a great week ahead, go out and have some fun!

Enjoy June


5 comments:

  1. June, oh, I know I have so much trouble with the 'N' word. And it's only two little letters! But then when I did start to use it, some people acted like they hadn't heard me...(What part of 'no' didn't you get??) And I laughed when I read this because, yes, you guessed it, I agreed to hem a bridesmaid dress for a wedding next spring, too. I know Exactly what you're saying when you start to sweat after cutting off that much fabric, I have so been there, done that. A gal came over this past spring and asked if I could hem a dress for her; I reluctantly agreed, but thought I had some time to work on it. She waltzed out to the garden with the gown on a hanger and stood there looking at me as I was transplanting a tree. I told her she could just hang the dress up in the house and I'd get to it on a rainy day, but come to find out, she NEEDED the dress the next day! Oh, for cryin' out loud. So, I marched into the house with her and out came the fancy shoes and down I went to the floor to pin it up and then whack it off and hastily (and I mean hastily!) sew the hem in place while she waited. She had her two very young tots in tow and they were crying and she asked me every few minutes 'how much longer' was it going to take.....June, I tell you, I did a Lousy job on that hem. OH, my! But I thought, ok, she'll never ask me for another favor.

    Guess who the next hem-job for next spring is for?? Yep, the same gal.

    Will I EVER learn???

    Our lesson for the day is:

    No is a Complete Sentence.

    Oh, and the gifts you gave the bride were just amazing! Personalized and fantastic, I would have been thrilled to receive them; all that hard work to make them so special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Repeat after me: I JUNE will remember to say NO-NO-NO-whenever someone wants an altering job done.

    Now let's practice this: This June asks...oh June(meaning you) I have a slipcover and drapes I need someone to make for me.

    Now what do you say? No-No-No-maybe?

    I loved your gift for the bride to be and I loved your previous post and photos of your garden.

    Have you had a frost yet? We had 3 nights of 25 degrees last week and everything is dead, dead, dead!

    sending love your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for The Leibster Award today. Check out my blog when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete