Welcome

I hope to share my little ups and downs though life in a small town with hopes and dreams of the country life. With that I have learned to bloom where you are planted.



Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fall & More







We all agree that summer is over and Fall is here. I think the nesting is starting in all of us. But, I still have outside work to do. My tomatoes are still producing even if they are small. I picked a few last peppers and I still have potatoes to dig. So what did I do but go off and play again.



The industry I work in had a dinner and overnight stay in Astoria. The dinner was yummy but the room was wonderful. The hotel set on pilings in the Columbia River very close to the bridge between Oregon and Washington. I had wonderful thoughts of taking lots of pictures, but again I failed. So a few, but I sure don't do the view justice.




Right off the balcony and yes you feel like you are sitting on the water.

I could have sat in this window seat all day! Curled up with a good book and a cup of tea, ah!

How about a nice bath in this tub, soaking away with the shutters open to see the river. So if you are looking for a place to stay in it is called The Cannery. You see it was an old fish cannery building that has been restored into a beautiful hotel.



But alas it was back home and back to reality. Remember I said I still had tomatoes! I had about a dozen in the refrigerator and I picked another dozen when I go home. So tonight I cut them up and put them in the dutch oven on the stove.




I ran then through this sieve for I wanted to make some tomato sauce. Now I know there are modern food processors but I happen to love this old sieve. Maybe it is the memories of my Mom canning.





I filled the jars, in the canner they went and on the stove!


While they are boiling in a water bath I did up the dishes. How can once have so many dirty pans?


Yes, the finished product. All that work for only 4 pints and a little one! But I just couldn't waste all those little tomatoes. I'm sure this winter as I open a jar of my own tomato sauce I will think it was well worth it.



So now I take myself off to bed chuckling over all the work, nah, the fun I had putting up only 4 pints .


Yawn, it's past my bed time!

No comments:

Post a Comment