Welcome

I hope to share my little ups and downs though life in a small town with hopes and dreams of the country life. With that I have learned to bloom where you are planted.



Monday, August 16, 2010

WHAT A DAY

Or should I say what a weekend. I spent the weekend back at my home town that I grew up in. It was the County Fair so you know that mean lots of visiting and eating. Saturday turned out to be a really fun day. I spent the day with my daughter, yes just the two of us looking at all the exhibits. Flower, photo, sewing, quilts, cow, horses, chicken, bunnies, pigs and oh my the canned and baked goods. A true County Fair. What made this day special is I got to celebrate another year. Yep, that right, it was my birthday! In case you are wondering what town I grew up in I'll give you at hint!
Oh my, isn't it funny how you see a picture of yourself and you wonder, where did the extra lbs come from and the wrinkles, yikes. But then you think, yeah! another year and I am having fun!


We ended the Fair with the World Champion Pig and Ford races. Now some of you are going what in the world is this. Well, this is the only place in the world these are held and it's been going on for a long time!
They have their striped down model A cars lined up on the track and are checking the bins. It time to line up across the track.


The gun fires and we are off racing to the bins to grab a pig, yes I said pig. Each racer has his own bin with three pigs in it.



Off to your car and yes, crank it to start. No electric starts here! Hop in with pig safely tuck under your arm for a race around the track. This is a dirt horse track.


You come back around shut your car off, run to the bin and grab another pig. There are spotters at the bins to make sure you get a different pig each time. You hurry back to the car, crank and away you go around the track again. This is done three times.


Hurry, hurry, oh my it is a traffic jam! Run, don't get run over though!


Great move, block the car behind you so you get a jump on him!


He got around and off he goes! Yes, he is in the lead!



He is the winner and the 2010 World Champion Pig and Ford Racer. He's checking to see how close his next racer is while putting the final pig in the bin. This ends the excitement for another year! The only place in the world you can get this form of entertainment.

A good day was had and a fun weekend was had with camping and lots of grand kid fun. But this Grammie had to come back to work to rest. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Enjoy June

6 comments:

  1. Never heard of a race like that. It must be so funny, esp. with a pig under your arm. Rest now....And Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, June! How wonderful that you were able to spend such a nice day with your daughter, pleasant memories for both of you. I have never heard of a Pig and Ford race, but I live near a small town that has annual an Ketchup Slide--who says we don't have fun out in the country??

    Thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun weekend you had.. HAppy Birthday too.. You look great!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read over at Vickie's that you are headed to Texas!! A big welcome........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to hear that your birthday was a great one. I can't think of any better way to celebrate than with a pig ford race.LOL! Unless it would be the wild cow milk that is. We just had our county fair here and that's the big deal hear. Yes, only in a small town can you have such fun.
    I loved all your beautiful lilies in the last post. I love lilies. They smell sooo good.
    Thank you so much for the dear comment you left about the tea party. I'm so ready for another one, but school starts for some of my little ones this Monday (the ones in Utah) so I guess it will have to be next year.
    hugs to you from here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessed birthday you had!
    I know what you mean about needing to rest after these family occasions are over!

    Happy Birthday,
    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete